To survive the summer fun with your hair intact, all you need to do is tailor your hair care routine to suit the seasons and to try out some of these great hair care tips and handy hints.
Summer Hair Care Tips
- Use lighter hair products such as mousse and hairspray during summer. They won’t clog your hair with sticky residue.
- Summer sun will rob your hair of moisture, so chop off your spilt ends before the start of summer to minimize damage.
- Use a leave in conditioner to moisturize your locks.
- Summer hair is all about fresh-from-the-beach ‘dos. Use this season to let your natural texture run free and give styling with heat appliances a miss.
- Summer time is a good excuse to splash out on hair treatments and after sun product therapies to treat yourself with when winding down after some fun in the sun.
- Learn the art of sexy messy buns and protect the ends of your hair (the parts most likely to be damaged) by tucking them away from the glare of the sun.
- The sun can burn your hair and your scalp just as it does your skin. Protect your locks (and your skin) with products that contain UV filters and offer protection against the sun’s rays.
- Chemically treated hair is prone to more damage from the elements and needs plenty of TLC, care and treatments to stay well protected.
- Wet your hair before swimming to stop your hair from soaking up too much salt water or chlorine. Once you’ve had a swim, rinse your hair again and then shampoo as soon as you can.
- Use the heat of the sun to help your hair treatments penetrate your hair. Apply your favorite hair treatment and let the suns rays warm it through your hair.
- Use a clarify shampoo weekly to rid your hair of product, dirt, salt and chlorine build up.
- Never apply lemon juice to help ‘lighten’ your hair. All this old wives tale does is dry out your locks.
- Make sure you drink plenty of water. It’s not only great for your skin and well-being, but is also great for your hair!
If you’ve got any handy hints for maintaining your locks during summer then be sure to leave any tips below.