Five Reasons You Should Keep Your Hair Naturally Grey:
- Leaving your hair grey is liberating, it's a sign you're comfortable with yourself.
- You won't feel self-conscious, wondering "are my grey roots showing?"
- If you're a guy, grey hair gives you gravitas and credibility; I mean, look how many presidents and newsreaders are grey!
- On guys, grey hair is a sign of maturity and stability, and some women find it very sexy.
- Grey hair is healthier than artificially colored hair, easier to manage, and not to mention more affordable (for more tips on how to manage your hair see "Hair's Dirty (Half) Dozen").
Five Reasons You Shouldn't Keep Your Hair Naturally Grey:
- If your skin's naturally fair, grey hair can make you look a little more washed-out. If that's the case, try a luminizing moisturizer.
- You really need to keep your hairstyle short or you risk looking like an old "no nukes hippy," or a roadie from a 1970s heavy metal band.
- Some people say they feel "invisible" with grey hair, like people don't notice them anymore because they just look like "another old person."
- Some people think that although grey hair looks sexy on men, it makes old women look old.
- If you color your hair you won't feel old- you'll feel good about yourself.
Out of all these points I guess the biggest reason to maintain your natural grey hair is the one about it being supposedly liberating- you know, a sign that you're comfortable with yourself and who you are.
Initially I thought that sounded a bit rich... that feeling "liberated" was overrated. I thought that accepting you look old (you have grey hair) even though you're not really that old, isn't liberating at all. Wouldn't it be much better to dye your hair and feel good about yourself because you don't look old? That makes more sense, doesn't it?
But then I realized that keeping your hair grey is liberating; accepting who you are is liberating because it means you're truly comfortable with yourself. And when you're truly comfortable with yourself people like you, and want to be around you, because you give off a positive energy. And that makes you feel great, doesn't it? That sounds like the best option to me.