How to Determine Your Face Shape
By Kate on 20 September 2011
If you've ever been confused about what your face shape is, then this article is for you!
If you really want to achieve a flattering haircut, hairstyle, makeup look and even choose the right glasses for you, then knowing your face shape makes a huge difference.
While working out your face shape might seem complicated, it really isn’t once you know what basic characteristics to look for.
To help you determine your face shape, look at a photo or yourself in a mirror with all of your hair pulled back off your face (if you've got bangs, pin them away!). Make sure you are looking front on so that you can clearly see the whole outline of your face and hairline and then…
- Pay attention to the main areas of your face – your forehead, cheekbones and jawline.
- Determine which parts of your face are the widest.
- Determine which parts of your face are the narrowest.
- Take note of the shape of your chin. Is it pointy, round or flat?
- Is your forehead wide when it meets your hairline, or is it narrow?
- Is the length of your face obviously long, short or average?
General Tips to Keep In Mind…
There are 7 basic face shapes, but more often than not, your face shape will lean towards a combination of at least 2 face shapes that are similar (a round face shape and an oval face shape, for example). When that happens, choose the face shape that you share the most characteristics with.
Factors such as weight gain, loss and aging skin can change the shape of your face so it’s a good idea to re-determine your face shape annually.
One final tip is to remember to focus on the outline of your face, the lines, angles and curves.
With these tips, and the answers to the above questions in mind, click here to take our easy 4-step face shape quiz!