My stylist couldn't have been more than 21, and after describing the hairstyle I envisaged as "kinda like Kirk Cameron's in Growing Pains, or Jason Priestly's in 90210" and getting no look of recognition whatsoever, I was at a total loss (and she wasn't even listening anymore). I stammered the names of a few more celebrities. from the 80s and 90s to no avail until, finally, I hit the jackpot and her face lit up when I said, "Patrick Dempsey from Grey's Anatomy."
I don't look anything like Patrick Dempsey, and neither does my hair, but at least my stylist and I were communicating. Eventually I settled into my haircut, and as I began to space-out, the whole thing got me thinking of the best and worst TV hairstyles. What do you think?
Best TV Hair
- Mariska Hargitay, aka Olivia Benson: Law & Order SVU
- Lisa Bonet, aka Denise Huxtable: The Cosby Show
- Leighton Meester, aka Blair: Gossip Girl
- John Stamos, aka Joey: Full House
- Heather Locklear, aka Amanda: Melrose Place
Worst TV Hair
- Jennifer Aniston, aka Rachel: Friends
- Miley Cyrus, aka Hannah: Hannah Montana
- Cote de Pablo, aka Ziva: NCIS
- Lily Rush, aka Kathryn Morris: Cold Case
- David Caruso, aka Horatio Caine, CSI: Miami
TV's a great place for inspiration if you're looking for a new hairstyle, but choose your celebrities appropriate to your stylist's age, and try not to sound too ridiculous if you're a middle-aged woman and you say you want hair like Selena Gomez's. (Also, if anyone actually likes David Caruso's hair- or David Caruso for that matter- I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your salon when you ask "Make me look like Horatio Caine; you know, that cool detective from CSI: Miami." Hahaha.)