Brown Hair Color Tips: Maintenance
By Kate on 29 October 2009
Two of the best things about brown hair color are the great choices of color (think scrumptious chocolate browns and luscious light shadings of caramel and chestnut) and the unbeatable shine.
One of the not so great things about brown hair color is that, like all hair color, it’s subject to everyday elements that can make that gloss and color fade and become dull looking (which kinda defeats the purpose of having a brilliant brunette shade).
So, does that mean if your hair is brown then you’re doomed to faded locks and shine-less color? Not if TheHairStyler.com has anything to do with it! We’ve put together some great brown hair color tips that you can try today that’ll not only maintain your color and get your brown hair shining, but also leave your hair in tip-top condition.
Banish Hair Color Fading
The #1 killer of good hair color and gloss is fading. And while fading is unfortunately something that can’t be prevented totally, the level of fading that your brown hair color experiences can be reduced by:
- Only washing your hair when absolutely necessary.
- Using a shampoo and conditioner that’s designed for color treated hair (which helps to lock in color).
- Keeping heat styling, such as using a blow-dryer, hair straightener or curling iron, to a minimum.
- Using hair care products with SPF protection and covering your hair with a hat or scarf when in the sun (which is also a must for your skin).
Make the Right Hair Styling Products Your Friends
For extra protection against fading and to get your hair in good condition, it’s essential that:
- Any hair styling products used are right for your hair type and brown hair color. Using the wrong styling products for your hair type can weigh your hair down, make it oily, make it dry or cause it to frizz out. This not only makes hair styling impossible but also interferes with how good your color can look. After all, imagine trying to show off your mocha locks when your strands are covered in thick wax which was the wrong choice for your fine hair type.
- The shampoos, conditioners and hair treatments that you use for color treated hair are also designed specifically for brown hair colors to help keep your color and enhance it.
- You give color depositing shampoos and hair glossing treatments made for brown hair a try. They’ll go a long way towards maintaining your color and giving you a shine boost between salon visits or just before a big event.
Spend Some Quality Time with Your Hair
Well looked after hair is the basis for getting and maintaining your brown hair color. To really make your hair show-off worthy, try these tips:
- Add a hot oil treatment to your hair a few days before getting your color done to hydrate your locks and get your strands ready to take on the richness of your brown shade.
- Put a daily hair care routine in place to look after your hair, hair color and to give you the excuse to pamper yourself.
- Keep on top of knots. Tangle free hair means flatter strands, which also means shinier hair.
- Learn some simple hairstyles. Pulling your brown hair into different hairstyles not only gives your overall look some variety, it also gives your color the chance to garner some attention. Simple styles like poker straight hair, glossy curls, braids or a good ponytail are all that you need. For some inspiration, check out our hairstyle blogs for Braided Hair: How to Get it and How to Wear it and Style Your Ponytail 4 Ways, and hairstyle articles How to Use Hair Straighteners and Simple Steps for Wicked Waves and Creative Curls.
By following these simple tips and remembering to protect your hair against color fade, to use the right hair styling products for your hair type and color and by taking the time to care for your hair, you can maintain the great depth, shine and beauty that’s part and parcel of being a brunette. Give it a go today and experience the difference!