Nothing says healthy hair like a big dose of shine!
Straight strands that shimmer or curls that glisten look fantastic and can easily be achieved with some easy styling tips, help from shine-inducing styling products and inspiration from the celebrities who've nailed the art of glossy locks.
While you can fake shine with the help of hair styling products, they'll definitely give you more boost for your buck if you're hair is nourished.
Well looked after hair also creates its own natural shine so it's definitely worth the effort to give your hair some TLC. After all, do you think Kristen Bell's straight locks would look this great if her strands were dry? And these gorgeous curls from Lea Michele wouldn't look half as glossy if her curls were full of frizz and fly-aways strands.
Nourishing Hair Tips:
- Use the best quality shampoo and conditioner that you can afford.
- Give your hair a break from blow-dryers and hair straighteners as often as you can.
- Apply a deep conditioning hair treatment or nourishing hair mask once a week.
A dark hair color is the easiest way to instantly give your hair shine because darker shades naturally reflect more light. That doesn't mean, however, that you need to color your hair the first dark shade you can find (although this beautiful brunette shade from Ashley Greene is reason enough to go dark!). As Taylor Swift shows, even a dark shade of blonde can look glossy.
Dark Hair Color Tips
- Make sure that your darker shade, whether it's blonde, black, brunette or red, is a hair color that will suit your skin tone.
- Remember that darker shades do require maintenance to stop the hair color from fading, and regular root touch ups.
The final tip for pulling off glossy locks lies in the way you style your hair, and the hair styling products that you use.
For shiny straight locks, follow Ashlee Simpson's lead and use a hair straighter to get your strands super straight and flat so that they can reflect light. Smoothing shine will finish off the look, and is also great for injecting shine into curls and waves, à la this retro hairstyle from Katy Perry.
Styling for Shine Hair Tips:
- Use products designed for shine, but also for your hair length and type. If you're hair is short then try shine wax. Fine hair can benefit from the lightless of spray serum. Gloss serum is perfect for curly hair, and straight hair will benefit from shine spray.
- When blow-drying your hair straight, ensure that you get a shiny finish by pointing your blow-dryer nozzle down your hair shaft.
If you've got any great glossy lock tips then let us know by leaving a comment below!